My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Browse
Search
AgdaPkt 2016-09-12 Closed and Joint SA PFA
RedwoodCity
>
City Clerk
>
Agenda Packets
>
2010-2019
>
2016
>
AgdaPkt 2016-09-12 Closed and Joint SA PFA
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
9/13/2016 11:52:14 AM
Creation date
9/12/2016 7:53:18 AM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
CC Index
CC Index - Document Type
Agenda Packet
Meeting Type
Joint
Agency Type
City Council and Successor Agency and Public Financing Authority
Date
9/12/2016
Jump to thumbnail
< previous set
next set >
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
973
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
Why The Historic Commercial District Has Significance <br />This area is the historic core of Redwood City. In his plan for the original town <br />drawn up in 1854, Simon Mezes planned for Main Street to parallel the Redwood <br />Creek, and Broadway (originally called “A” Street) as a convenient access <br />between businesses and homes. Main Street parallels on the east bank, the tidal <br />slough (now culverted) that was the initial impetus to settlement in Redwood City. <br />The history of Redwood City is directly connected to this area, in the collective <br />biographies of the people, businesses, activities that were, and are now, located <br />here. <br />From the mid-1850’s until the late 1920’s, Redwood Creek, a deep-water channel <br />off the San Francisco Bay, dominated this section of town. A wharf system was <br />built which extended for more than a mile along each side of the creek. Lumber, <br />shingles, grain, and many other local products were shipped from here to San <br />Francisco and eventually throughout the world. A turning basin for ships was <br />located to the northwest of the intersection of Main Street and Broadway. <br />Shipbuilding and shipping originally dominated the area, as did support <br />businesses for lumberman and longshoreman. Other support businesses <br />followed. Several Redwood City “firsts” occurred here, including the location of <br />the first firehouse built in Redwood City and the first general store. The first <br />firehouse used by the volunteer fire department was located on the west side of <br />Main Street to the north of the Broadway and Main Street intersection. The <br />Broadway and Main intersection was the first area of town to undergo street and <br />sidewalk improvements after Redwood City incorporated in 1868. <br />When Redwood City became the county seat in 1856, the need for services like <br />meeting halls, hotels, and general stores increased, and the area soon became <br />the town’s social and business center. Activities in this area had significance for <br />the growth and activity of the rest of the county. Main Street was a direct route to <br />Woodside Road for lumber wagons and passenger stages traveling to Skyline <br />and the Coast side. Broadway, renamed from “A” Street in 1908, housed the <br />County courthouse and the Redwood City railroad depot. It continues to be a <br />direct link to busy El Camino Real, which runs the length of San Mateo County. <br />Main Street remained the commercial core well into the twentieth century. By <br />1940, Broadway assumed dominance as the main commercial street. Main <br />Street at its intersection near Maple Street remained an important automotive <br />sales and service center into the 1980’s. From the intersection of Maple Street to <br />Woodside Road, Main Street was once called Mound Street because it traversed <br />the top of an old Indian mound. <br />Page 7 <br />7.B. - Page 18
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.