Laserfiche WebLink
Alpha Reference: A <br /> <br />Historic Name: Bank of San Mateo County <br />Address: 2000 Broadway <br />Construction Date: 1900 <br />Parcel#: 052-374-180 <br /> <br />Aside from the San Mateo County Courthouse, the Bank of San Mateo County <br />Building is probably Redwood City's most notable commercial or institutional <br />structure. Its styling, as the architectural historian Richard Longstreth has pointed <br />out in his book, The Buildings of Main Street (Washington, D.C.: 1987, p.39) <br />represented a transition from the Queen Anne style of the 1880s and 1890s to <br />the Neo-Classical mode popular at the beginning of the twentieth-century. A <br />feature retained from the Queen Anne is the corner turret with its dome and <br />profusion of dormers and ornamental details. The turret serves as an eye- <br />catching visual pivot, turning a main corner of the central-business district. Neo- <br />Classical elements include the building's pediments, pilasters, capitals, and <br />ornamental details of the cornice. The elaborateness of this time-honored <br />classical detailing was meant to suggest to early- century observers the wealth <br />and stability of the bank (classical temple fronts were often built by banks to instill <br />confidence in customers). Longstreth also called this building a good example of <br />a two-story commercial block; this type consists of a building with a horizontal <br />division separating the public retail spaces on the first floor from the private office <br />or residential areas on the upper floors. <br /> <br />Incorporated in 1891, the Bank of San Mateo County was the first commercial <br />bank on the San Francisco Peninsula. For its first ten years it operated from the <br />Capitol Hotel in the middle of the block. In 1899 the bank purchased the vacant <br />northwest corner lot at Broadway and Main and announced that they would <br />construct the first stone building in the county. Actually, it was a stone veneer <br />and in truth it was the first of its kind in the county. Alfred I. Coffey of Martens & <br />Coffey of San Francisco was commissioned to design a Renaissance style <br />building. <br /> <br />Stone shipped from Utah was worked into proper sizes and was surfaced in San <br />Francisco. OE Brady & Son of San Francisco did the masonry work. Bank <br />officials favored Robert Brown, a local contractor and a stockholder in the bank, <br />even though his bid was not the lowest. The building was completed in 1900 and <br />under the ribbed dome above the bay window the inscription reads: ERECTED <br />A.D. 1900. Over the semi-circular colonnade portico another inscription was <br />BANK OF SAN MATEO CO. The latter was chiseled off in 1963, but vague <br />shadows of it are visible. On the scheduled opening day much of the furnishings <br />and the vault had not been delivered, but business was transacted over an <br />improvised counter of a plank stretched between two barrel heads, reportedly <br />beer barrels. Until the vault was completed, the bank's daily receipts were <br />deposited in the county's safe at the Pioneer Store immediately behind the bank <br />Page 16 <br />7.B. - Page 27