My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Browse
Search
AgdaPkt 2016-09-12 Closed and Joint SA PFA
RedwoodCity
>
City Clerk
>
Agenda Packets
>
2010-2019
>
2016
>
AgdaPkt 2016-09-12 Closed and Joint SA PFA
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
9/13/2016 11:52:14 AM
Creation date
9/12/2016 7:53:18 AM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
CC Index
CC Index - Document Type
Agenda Packet
Meeting Type
Joint
Agency Type
City Council and Successor Agency and Public Financing Authority
Date
9/12/2016
Jump to thumbnail
< previous set
next set >
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
973
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
Alpha Reference: E <br />Historic Name: Sequoia Hotel <br />Address: 800 Main Street <br />Date Constructed: 1912 <br />Parcel#: 053-233-160 <br />This long, two-part commercial block has a number of classical features, typical of its date of <br />construction, 1912. The openness of the storefronts and the closed nature of the upper <br />apartment floors communicates the functions of each floor. The large number of rooms lining <br />the second and third stories suggests that this was probably Redwood City's largest and most <br />important hotel in the 1910s and 1920s. <br />The curve of its main corner and the elaborate decoration around the front door give the hotel <br />visual appeal. The architect concentrated most of his attention here in order to pro- vide a <br />good first impression; the upper floors bear little decorative embellishment, except for the <br />cornice at the roofline. The old signage still present adds to the historic character. The <br />Sequoia Hotel, while not architecturally outstanding in itself, combines with its neighbors at <br />2000 Broadway, 2020 Broadway, 2022-2024 Broadway, and 726 Main Street to create a <br />pleasing, diverse ensemble of historic buildings. This group of historic commercial structures <br />distinguishes Redwood City's downtown from those of most neighboring cities on the San <br />Francisco Peninsula. <br />The southwest corner of the Broadway and Main Intersection has been known since early <br />1854 as the Eureka Corner, so named for Redwood City's first hotel-the Eureka House- which <br />was built there in 1854 to accommodate the teamsters who came down from the hills with their <br />lumber. <br />In 1854, townsmen met in the dining room of the Eureka House to form a town government. <br />During the Civil War, the Eureka House served as headquarters for the Jefferson Calvary, <br />Redwood City's unit. A livery stable next door served as the armory for the cavalry unit until <br />1866. The old hotel building was purchased in 1870 by Govert Plump who established the <br />Eureka Brewery, which operated there as a brewery and as a store until1889. The old building <br />was not torn down until June 1912, so construction could begin on the Sequoia Hotel. <br />This prime corner property, located in the heart of the financial and commercial district of the <br />town, was purchased in 1912 by a corporation made up of local investors. A real estate <br />company manager, two bankers, several lawyers, two judges, a doctor, a lumber magnate and <br />multi-millionaire, a title company owner, and other prominent townsmen were major <br />stockholders. <br />In 1912, Redwood City needed a first-class hotel as part of a massive hotel-retail complex. <br />The 1906 earthquake had demolished what had been the best hotel in town. The architectural <br />design of Mitchell and Hodges was selected by the corporation in April, 1912. Hodges had <br />designed many buildings at nearby Stanford University. Local contractor John McBain was <br />selected to build it. He started construction in September, 1912 and completed it on March 15, <br />1913. The cost exceeded $100,000- quite an expenditure in those times. A gala open- <br />ing celebration was held on April17, 1913. <br />Page 31 <br />7.B. - Page 42
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.