Laserfiche WebLink
age of *Resource Name or # (Assigned by recorder) <br />*Recorded by: *Date  Continuation <br /> Update <br /> <br />DPR 523L (Rev. 1/1995)(Word 9/2013) <br />State of California  Natural Resources Agency Primary# <br />DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION HRI # <br /> Trinomial <br />CONTINUATION SHEET <br />Property Name: 847-851 Main Street <br />Page 3 of 3 <br /> <br />B10. Significance continued: <br />The stable lot on Main Street had been unoccupied since the stable closed in 1910. The Stafford family <br />had owned the property for many year; however, when the widow Emeline Stafford died in 1914, the <br />bank bought the property for the balance owed on the mortgage ($5,980). Until William Dusel came to <br />Redwood City looking for real estate development opportunities, the lot was empty. <br />No doubt Dusel watched Gus Waller build the new brick building on the Beal’s Livery Stable site on <br />lower Main Street, about a block away. It was designed to be the new home for Dave Flynn’s Ford <br />automobile sale salon and automotive repair shop. New car sales were in the front on Main Street; the <br />repair shop was in the rear off Maple Street. Dusel seized the opportunity to buy the other stable lot <br />available at this location in April 1922 and arranged a lease with Guy Clifton, the Chevrolet agent. <br />The Pioneer Stables property was similar to the Beal’s Stables property. Both had frontage on Main <br />Street for pedestrian traffic; this was ideal to display new automobiles within a spacious showroom. And <br />both properties were deep lots, extending to other streets for rear entrances. <br />Dusel built his Dusel Building for Guy Clifton in 1922. It was finished by November, and Clifton opened <br />his Chevrolet agency. The following year, Dusel built a 75’x100’ galvanized iron building to the rear of <br />the salesroom to house an auto repair shop and tire sales store; its entry was off Walnut Street. In March <br />1924, the salesroom was remodeled. The walls were painted with scenes of Yosemite, by local painter <br />Mr. Doxsee, as a backdrop for the new Chevrolet touring car. The showrooms were also outfitted to <br />accommodate another vehicle, the first Rickenbacker automobile, which went on display in May 1924. <br />Eddie Rickebacker had landed at the Redwood City Airport in May 1921, just three years previously and <br />had toured Redwood City. In 1925, Clifton quit the business, but it continued to operate by others. From <br />1929 to 1930, it was the Fowler-Nash Motor Co., but they leased only 1/3 of the building. Another third <br />remained vacant, and the other was occupied by Leach Furniture Company. Thus, by 1929, the building <br />took the form of its present three-storefront configuration. <br />Many different tenants have occupied this building. Likely the most memorable is Redwood Auto <br />Supply. This firm occupied the center store (849) for over 40 years (1939 thru the early 1980s). For <br />about 13 years, from 1953-1966, the store on the left (847) was the carpet outlet for Union Furniture <br />Company, which operated next door on the ground floor of the I.O.O.F. Building; the galvanized building <br />at the rear of the property was used as a warehouse. In 1976, Sequoia Auto Parts occupied this space as <br />an annex to its store on lower Main Street. The third store space (851) was a liquor store from 1946 to <br />1963; this space has most recently been used for eating and drinking establishments. <br />7.B. - Page 89