Laserfiche WebLink
7.B. - Page 19 of 54 <br />William Kostura, Historic Resource Evaluation of the Redwood City Woman Club <br />Dingee Park was originally part of the vast "Rancho de las Pulgas," which had been <br />granted by the Mexican government to the heirs of Jose Dario Arguello in 1835. In 1853 <br />the Arguello family sold 2,200 acres of the grant to a land commissioner, William Carey <br />Jones, who in turn sold those acres in 1857 to Horace Hawes, a legislator who authored <br />the bill that created San Mateo County. Hawes built a home for himself on the site of the <br />future Sequoia Union High School. <br />In 1880 his widow sold most of the acreage to Moses Hopkins, brother of the late Mark <br />Hopkins, who had been one of the proprietors of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Moses <br />Hopkins lived in both Redwood City and San Francisco, and raised thoroughbred horses <br />on his Redwood City land. He also built Emerald Reservoir in the hills above for a water <br />supply. <br />In 1902 a man named William J. Dingee purchased the Hopkins estate and a large amount <br />of land surrounding them. He moved into the Hopkins house only to see it destroyed in <br />the earthquake of 1906. <br />At about the same time he was experiencing financial problems connected with his <br />cement factories. He was the owner of the Standard Portland Cement Company which <br />had plants in Santa Cruz, Napa, Washington state, and Pennsylvania. He also had a slate <br />quarry and had recently sold his ownership of the city of Oakland's water supply. After <br />selling the water company he splurged on a house in San Francisco, a mansion in New <br />York, and the Hopkins property in Redwood City, only to experience a severe financial <br />downturn. To rescue his cement business he decided to sell most of his Redwood City <br />land (excepting the Hopkins residence site) to Alfred W. Wehe and partners for <br />development as a real estate subdivision to be named Dingee Park. He accepted $25,000 <br />down, with another $75,000 due to be paid by November 1St, 1907. Dingee and Wehe <br />paid engineer Otto von Geldern to survey the tract, dividing it into blocks and lots, and <br />when this was completed in November lots were marketed to the public. <br />Wehe was also overextended and never did make the $75,000 payment, so at the end of <br />February 1908 Dingee sued to take control of the land back from him. For an unknown <br />reason Dingee had the subdivision re -surveyed in July 1908, apparently by civil engineer <br />Frank W. Kerns. The revised subdivision map featured 47 blocks, most of which were <br />divided into 20 to 22 lots each. Most lots were 65, 70, or 75 feet in width, and thus this <br />subdivision was decidedly suburban in character, rather than urban. It stretched from the <br />County Road (today's El Camino Real) to Nevada Street, a distance of fourteen blocks, <br />and from Whipple Avenue to Katherine and Harrison avenues. Exempted from this <br />subdivision was the Hopkins-Dingee residence site, which because of its formal <br />landscaping was considered more valuable left intact. <br />12 <br />527 <br />