My WebLink
|
Help
|
About
|
Sign Out
Browse
Search
AgdaPkt 2016-09-12 Closed and Joint SA PFA
RedwoodCity
>
City Clerk
>
Agenda Packets
>
2010-2019
>
2016
>
AgdaPkt 2016-09-12 Closed and Joint SA PFA
Metadata
Thumbnails
Annotations
Entry Properties
Last modified
9/13/2016 11:52:14 AM
Creation date
9/12/2016 7:53:18 AM
Metadata
Fields
Template:
CC Index
CC Index - Document Type
Agenda Packet
Meeting Type
Joint
Agency Type
City Council and Successor Agency and Public Financing Authority
Date
9/12/2016
Jump to thumbnail
< previous set
next set >
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
Laserfiche.
All rights reserved.
/
973
PDF
Print
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
Show annotations
View images
View plain text
Alpha Reference: Q <br />Historic Name: Flynn’s Ford Agency <br />Address: 935 Main Street <br />Construction Date: 1920 <br />Parcel #: 053-135-270 <br />935 Main Street is a one-story building with a flat roof and shaped parapet. Just <br />below the parapet is a concrete course, and just under this course are the <br />remnants of a metal egg-and-dart band, which once stretched the length of the <br />facade. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond supports the building. <br />The designer of 935 Main St. divided the facade into three large openings. The <br />center was originally occupied by a garage door, and is now the main doorway. <br />On either side of this central opening are two equally sized windows with a fixed <br />wooden sash. These windows are divided into a large central light flanked by two <br />sidelights. Transoms composed of two, five, and two lights lie above these tri- <br />partite windows. Above the three main openings of the facade are concrete <br />lintels; these lintels have another smaller rectangle incised within them. Just <br />above the lintels on either end are small concrete squares into which a diamond <br />pattern of tiles is inset. <br />These two lots on Main Street were originally the site of Beal's Livery Stable. The <br />right hand lot was deep, with room for corrals and a rear entrance on Maple <br />Street. Together the two lots had 97' frontage on Main. <br />After the stable, the lots were purchased by Ross & Ross Attorneys at Law, <br />Redwood City (George C. Ross and his sons Hall C. and Lee T. Ross). The first <br />lot to be developed was the right-hand lot, which ran into Maple Street. They had <br />Gus Waller construct a combination new automobile showroom salon and auto <br />repair garage for their tenant, David M. Flynn. <br />This building, until recently Popik's Furniture Company's showroom, began <br />service as a Ford dealership and an automotive garage. The interior possesses <br />large wooden trusses, exposed brick walls, and skylights, which suggest the <br />building's past as a utilitarian workspace. The structure was located strategically <br />near the intersection of Main St. and Middlefield Rd., which during the 1920s-50s <br />experienced a high volume of auto traffic. Numerous garages and gas stations <br />served these passing motorists, and a number can still be observed in the <br />vicinity. Take, for example, 1101 Main St., a former auto showroom done in the <br />Gothic style. 935 Main St. conforms neatly to what architectural historian Richard <br />Longstreth has termed the "One-Story Commercial Block" in his book, The <br />Buildings of Main Street, (Washington D.C.: 1987 pages 54-67). A key feature of <br />the One-Story Commercial Block were its large plate glass windows, which <br />invited passers-by on Main Streets to stop, browse, and enter. <br />Page 52 <br />7.B. - Page 63
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.