Laserfiche WebLink
The building was designed in the front on Main Street to have three bays. In the <br />center bay was a double door entrance to allow for new automobiles to be <br />brought into the front room display area. On either side of the entry doors were <br />large glass display windows, so passersby could see and admire new <br />automobiles. <br />In the rear were double door garage doors, too, designed to allow rear access <br />from Maple Street for customers needing repairs. Just as the rear was used for <br />the horse corral, the autos awaiting repairs could be "corralled" out back, since <br />there was little parking on Main Street. (In 1920, Redwood City was still pretty <br />much a horse-and-wagon town, but they were fast disappearing.) The front <br />entrance doors were also tall and wide enough for tractors, since Dave Flynn <br />also sold Ford tractors. <br />Dave Flynn was not the first agent for Ford Motor Co.; he was the third. Between <br />1913 and August 1916, two men operated as Ford agents. Dave Flynn <br />apparently had a better idea. Ford selected him as their South San Mateo County <br />agent in August 1916. His territory covered Belmont, San Carlos, Redwood City, <br />Woodside, Portola, and Atherton. For awhile he operated out of a leased store on <br />the corner of Broadway and Washington, but maps show that there was not <br />much room to park cars, or display or work on them inside. By 1920 he was also <br />the local representative for Good Year tires. Certainly as his business increased, <br />he needed larger and more suitable space. The site of Beal's long, empty lot on <br />Main Street probably answered every need. <br />Dave's brothers Dan and Thomas had operated various stables in Redwood City <br />and one in Palo Alto. All of those stables faced on a Main Street with rear access <br />from another street. No doubt this family knowledge was used to design this <br />building, which is the first building in Redwood City designed specifically to be an <br />automobile showroom, with repairs and service in the rear. <br />In January 1926 Dave Flynn sold his Ford agency dealership, the garage and <br />repair shop, and the parts-accessory business to Frank K. Towne, a local banker. <br />Towne Ford Motor Company began its operation in this building. In January 1992 <br />they will celebrate 66 years as being the only local Ford dealership. <br />In 1930 Towne Motor Company moved to a different location. In 1931-32 B.P. <br />Arata opened a feed and fuel business, selling coal, chicken feed, and other feed <br />and fuel items. In 1934 the Garden City Products Co. took over Arata and <br />continued operating through World War II. They also sold bedding plants, garden <br />supplies, and nursery stock. In 1950 they closed up and the store was vacant <br />until 1955-56 when the Peninsula Trading Post (a second-hand store) moved in. <br />Uke Popik and his family had operated a second-hand furniture store at a <br />different location on Main Street. Their move to Flynn's old automobile showroom <br />and garage offered easier rear access from Maple Street for their large furniture. <br />Page 53 <br />7.B. - Page 64