Laserfiche WebLink
REDWOOD CITY HISTORIC RESOURCES INVENTORY <br />Continuation of "Description" and "Significance" Categories <br />The vergeboard has many circular and linear decorative motifs. Just below the vergeboard at the peak of the gable, is a <br />carved sunburst ornament. Below on the gable is a central attic window, trabeated and surrounded by wide casings. On <br />either side of the window, boards are laid diagonally in the gable end. A wide casing surrounds the main double-hung <br />window of the bay. The window is trabeated, and paired brackets support the entablature. Between the brackets, is a <br />sunburst motif, and, on the sides, are a pair of similar carved decorations. Two turned posts support the porch roof. Unusual <br />semi-circular brackets (each looks like a quarter of a ship's wheel) are located in the corners of the canted bay's eaves and at <br />the top of the turned posts. The porch projects only along the front, and does not wrap around. The porch roof shelters the <br />front door, which is located centrally on the facade. A pair of double-hung windows, (each with one over one lights), stands <br />to the north of this main entry. A balustrade lines the front side of the porch. On the north side facade is a service porch, its <br />roof supported by turned posts. The casings around the side doors are ornamented at the corners. Three double-hung <br />windows lie to the west, each having two paired brackets separating them from the eaves. <br />The John Dielman house now located at 1020 Main Street was built on land owned by Hanson Akerson (Tacoma Mills) <br />lumber company, and it was the residence of John Dielman, their foreman. It is assumed to have been built between 1870 and <br />1880. The property was deeded to John Dielman in 1890 and the family lived there until 1959. The property having been <br />deeded to John Dielman, the son in 1953 by Mary Dielman, the widow, age 102. <br />It was sold as a residence to Charles Long who sold it to the San Mateo County Credit Union. In 1979 it was acquired by C. <br />H. and Gladys Woodhams and moved to its present location. <br />The house is built of redwood with an unfinished second floor originally. There were 6 rooms and a fireplace. It was restored <br />in 1980 and is occupied by a restaurant. <br />19. SIGNIFICANCE AND EVALUATION: (continued) <br />7. DESCRIPTION: (continued) <br />9.A. - Page 128 of 247 <br />386